Tuesday, October 28, 2008

How much little ones have to learn

Oct. 27, 2008

I voted today. I went to get an absentee ballot, and you could vote right there and return it. So I did. I had to get a card for dad to sign for him to vote absentee. Two more trips to the city offices. Good thing they are only a half mile away. I am really tired of these elections. Way to much money has been spent by all parties involved. I really thing everyone who wants to run, must present his or her platform before their party's convention. Decide what the party wants to stand for and send it out to all voters to review once a month for 3 months prior to the election. No other ads or campaigning needed. If you cannot read, get someone to read it to you. Use plain English that everyone can understand, in a limited dialog or amount of space.

The money used to campaign could have been used to pay down the national debt. Or feed thousands of people. I do not need to hear the talking heads telling me what I just heard. Granted, it does boost the job market, which sorely needs jobs.

Now A. Greenspan had a very good reason why we are facing this economic mess: GREED.
Not a new concept. It's been around as long as people, and it has been the downfall of many nations. We don't just need a heart, jor a brain, but we do need the courage to follow our conscience. If all those lenders had followed their conscience when lending that money, and all the persons borrowing had used thier brains, we would have a safer financial market. But alas, we are human. Greed is winning out.

Back to where I started: how much little ones have to learn and what we can teach them.
As I have said before, I am teaching 7 year olds in preparation for making their First Communion. This week's unit covered the saints. What is a saint? A martyr? Why and what did they die for? Big concepts for little ones who have everything. It was cute when we had to explain to one little girl what a colored person was. You know, those brown kids in your class at school? That was refreshing, she didn't really see them as any different. Maybe we are making headway in some areas at least. Now if we can decrease poverty and raise the level of education for all children. My group of kids are little chatter boxes. I really love them, and they do want to learn, but listening is not a high priority in their lives. Each week, I seem to get a couple of new kids. They also didn't know about different Protestant religions. It is going to be a fun year.
And where do you start? The history of Religion is a long and harried one for such little persons.
How do you bring it down to their level so they understand and yet are not overwhelmed?
Something to ponder.

Until next time.

No comments: